Drivers Licenses and ID Cards
curve slider image

Customers are required to follow COVID restrictions.  Driver's License customers should arrive early to guarantee service.  Our building hours are 8:00 - 4:30 pm. 

Federal agencies will continue to accept standard Minnesota driver's licenses and identification cards for official purposes until May 3, 2023.   After May 3, 2023, a REAL ID, enhanced driver's license or ID, or passport will be required for those wanting to board domestic flights or enter federal facilities.

Minnesota has three identification options from which residents may choose:
  • Standard Driver's License or ID Card
  • Enhanced Driver's License or Enhanced ID Card
  • Real ID-Compliant Driver's License or ID Card
For more information on Driver's Licenses, please check online at

To apply for a standard driver's license, ID card, or permit you may present a Minnesota driver's license, ID card, or permit that is current or expired for five years or less if it has a photo, or one year or less if it does not have a photo.
  • If you do not have one of the items listed above, you must present two documents, including one document that contains your full name and the month, day and year of your birth.  These documents may include a birth certificate, passport or a Social Security card.
  • If the name on your driver's license, ID card or permit has changed or the names on your other documents do not match, you must also present proof of your legal name change(s).
Please click on the following link for a full list of required acceptable documents that can be used              

Passed by Congress in 2005, the REAL ID Act establishes minimum security standards for state-issued driver's licenses and ID cards.  The Act refers to federal anti-terrorism laws and regulations that control access to the following:
  • Federally regulated commercial aircraft.
  • Federal facilities requiring identification to enter, such a military bases or nuclear power facilities.
The Act prohibits federal agencies like the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) from accepting cards for official purposes from states that do not meet minimum security standards.

Please click the following link for information and requirements to obtain a Real ID                                   

It is a dual-purposed, optional card designed for the user's convenience.  In addition to serving as a typical driver's license, the card allows a Minnesota resident to re-enter the U.S. at it's land or seaports when returning from Canada, Mexico, Bermuda or the Caribbean.  This flexibility speeds your passage back across the boarder.  They verify your identity and citizenship-no other proof is required.  EDL cards are among the federally approved border crossing documents required under the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI).  An EDL is also available to a Minnesota driver who qualifies for a commercial driver's license (CDL).

Please click the following link for information and requirements to obtain an Enhanced Driver License

Please click the link below for all your DVS Online Services: